Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Moses Stood Up

By faith Moses chose to suffer affliction with the people of God rather than enjoy the passing pleasures of sin. (Hebrews 11:25) He chose suffering. No one in their right mind should choose suffering. But Moses had a mind guided by God; guided by faith. Choosing to stand alongside other believers and suffer is a hard choice. Right now there are things in life that I would much rather focus on;, things that are nothing but passing pleasures. When people are remembering me at my funeral some day, I pray they will be quoting this verse about me. "Lindsey (or mom, grandma, etc.) made an evident choice in life. She chose to stand by God's people to serve and suffer and to ignore the passing pleasures of sin." I know that won't be true of my entire life. Goodness, I have given in to the passing pleasures of sin more times than I care to recount. But that was then, and from now on I have the opportunity to make this verse true about my life. Probably the most significant word in this verse is the word "chose." Moses made a definite choice. He didn't wait around to decide what felt right, he chose to do what was right. Choosing God's way isn't always going to feel right or good, but if it truly is God's way it will be both right and good. For that I sing His praises. I have to make choices, big ones. By faith I want to choose to suffer with God's people...I want to choose to do things God's way. How sad for my life to be filled with things that won't last, things that will burn up when I stand before God. What are you choosing for your life? Are you choosing to suffer, or to sin? As a word of encouragement if you are struggling with this choice, Romans 8:18 says "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared to the glory which will be revealed in us."

1 comment:

Coach C said...

Thanks for the comment! I need to get to your blog more often. I love the pictures of Lake Michigan. I need to get my family over there again sometime. I am going to include your blog in a link from mine.