Friday, May 25, 2007

Last Two Days of School

I can hardly believe that school is over! After today I have a year and a half of teaching under my belt. Wow. Time has flown by so quickly my head is spinning. Yesterday I took my class to Crazy Bounce in Holland. Crazy Bounce is a play place full of huge, gigantic inflatable slides, obstacle courses, etc. There is one huge room full of all these things. We spent two hours there, and could have easily made it three. The slides are so high and fast! I played hide & seek and tag with the kids and went on all the "toys". It really is a kids place I guess, but I had a blast. =)
After lunch at Wendy's we went on a class bike ride on our beautiful bike path by the school and came back for ice cream sundaes with all the fixin's. It was a gorgeous day outside, and a perfect day all around.

At the end of our half day today I took my class outside to play with some new toys I bought. I found these soft, flexible, cloth disc things that are 2' in diameter. They are light as a feather and fly really far. My kids had a blast throwing them to eachother out in the school yard.

On a more serious note, I had my students write letters to me criticizing my work as a teacher. One of our vocab words this week was criticism, so we talked about the fact that it means evaluating both good and bad points. They were a little nervous about telling me negative things, but I assured them I wanted to learn from them and hear what they had to say. I knew there were some things that many of them would write about, such as my impatience, my tendency to get overly frustrated, etc. But reading the letters was hard! I don't like to be criticized (does anyone!?) but I knew it was good to hear from the students. They were so kind and loving in their criticism, too. I can tell they love me very much and just want me to be the best teacher I can be. God truly blessed me with a great class this year. They handled this letter- writing assignment so well, I am truly thankful for each one of them. I also praise God for the work He can do to help me become a better teacher as I yield to His dierction.

No comments: