Tuesday, February 5, 2008

When God Protected a Murderer

I was reading in Genesis last night and was amazed when I came across the story of Cain and Abel. Of course, I have read and heard this account dozens of times, but God's abundant and overwhelming mercy on Cain's behalf blew me away this particular time. Do you realize that God punished and protected Cain at the same time? He was a murderer. Killed his own brother out of pure hatred and anger. God sentenced him to be a fugitive and a vagabond the rest of his life. Cain was afraid he couldn't handle it and that surely someone would kill him. God put some kind of a mark on Cain to ensure that no one could harm him. Why? I just don't understand. Why would God put a hedge around someone who was being punished for murder? Cain had just murdered a man who was an obedient servant of God. God could have ended Cain's life in an instant to teach him a thing or two! But he didn't. That's the awesome part.
And then I ask, why would God call me, save me, want me? My sins put Christ on the cross just as much as Cain's did. Now, because of Christ's blood, I too have a security. No person or event can harm me outside of God's perfect plan and design for my life. I am safe in my Father's hands. His mercy is higher than the heavens and his faithfulness reaches to the sky. (Psalm 36:5) Have you thought about God's mercy today and what that means for you? If you are a believer, that means you are not getting hell for eternity as you deserve. If you have not accepted a personal relationship with Christ yet, that means He has given you another chance that you don't deserve. Praise Him today for His mercy. Praise Him for standing up for sinners like you and me.

No comments: