Friday, February 15, 2008

More Soccer Thoughts


- Who could forget sitting in line for meals during preseason with bags of ice on and under various body parts?!

-One year when we went to Northland we forgot the girls' socks and had to wear the boys' stinky ones after they played.

- Sophomore year Mandy Blumer and I missed about half our Principles of Bible Study classes because it was sixth hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays and we had games to go to.

- Coach would declare no laughing practices when we weren't paying attention, then we would laugh even more.

- The best practice was when we were doing butt traps in the pouring rain on the upper field. I laughed so hard!

- After a drill during one practice Sandy said I had hit her nose with my elbow and I couldn't figure out how my elbow, way down there, could hit her nose?! But then I remembered how tall I am and how short she is and it all made sense!

- Eventually Sandy evolved my nickname, "Lenny", into "Leonard."

- The Hummer dealership we went by to one field we played at I always said I would love to test- drive them at their little driving course thing; coach said if a guy ever asked him where to take me on a date he would tell him to take me there.

- Hayley's dad was our biggest fan and it was great hearing him cheer for us. Sometimes he would show up for games when Hayley didn't even know he was coming!

- I always liked to smile and wave at the trains going by our soccer field because I was confident that someone needed a smile and a wave and that I might be able to brighten their day. Weird, I know. =)

- For team pictures I had to stand in the back, in the middle...I wonder why that is?!

- One of the most embarrassing moments was freshman year and coach was going to put me in the game for someone and I asked where she was playing and he got mad and wouldn't put me in. Boy did I feel stupid. But, in my defense, I was asking because he was putting me in at either forward or midfield (can't remember which it was) and I was so surpised so I asked to make sure. So there!

- One other game I had just received the ball and out of nowhere a girl from the other team ran into me and knocked me right over and coach really yelled at me and I was so mad at him because how was I supposed to know she was going to run into me? Later I did realize that I should have been looking up and paying better attention, but still, I was totally ticked at the moment. =)

- Jen Adam was and is so fun and encouraging and she told me consistently that I had the best touch on the ball. That meant alot to me because I really am not that super at soccer, but I love it, so it was nice to be encouraged.

- Because of soccer I gave up drinking pop, and to this day I rarely drink the stuff.

- I loved that coach encouraged his players to be godly women on and off the field. He was a great spiritual leader.

No comments: