Sunday, July 8, 2007

Red Flags

Typically, when a person hears the term "red flag" he or she thinks "warning, danger, be alert, stay away." Not in Grand Haven!!! When we hear that the red flag is flying at the beach, we get excited. This is when the fun starts. Enormous waves, strong undertow....You think, "that sounds like danger to me!" Well, I suppose it is dangerous, but for those of us who grew up in Lake Michigan, these are the best of times. Today was a red flag day; a fun day. Karin wasn't so into the waves, but Melissa and I spent a long time being buffeted about by the raging waters. We came out tired, weak, and dizzy....and happy as could be. You should come try it sometime...come to Grand Haven and play in the waves!

7 comments:

Traci said...

Lindsey,
Sounds as though you are enjoying your summer! Recharging the batteries for the coming school year is a good thing.
Thanks for the note you sent! We enjoyed hearing from you. The children all say hi and they miss you.
Mrs. Mayes

Lindsey said...

Hi Mrs. Mayes, thanks for checking out my blog. I keep it pretty up to date so if you want to keep an eye on me, here's the place to do it =) As much as I am enjoying summertime, I am already thinking ahead to next school year. So much to do! Tell the kids I miss them too. It is good to hear from you.

Coach C said...

I alway's loved the red flag days in Lake MI, especially when it was warm. I have seen 15+ waves at the shore in winter on that side of the lake.

Lindsey said...

Yeah, even at my height, some of the ways made me a little nervous! It is sooo fun though!

Lindsey said...

That was supposed to be "waves"...

Traci said...

Rachel says, "Hey, Lindsey! I'm going to camp next week with my cousins. That's going to be interesting. How's the surfing? (or whatever you call being in the water on Red Flag days)"
Mrs. Mayes says we'll check in from time to time to keep up with you.

Lindsey said...

Hey Rachel, so good to hear from! I hope you have fun at camp. The surfing is great for those who do it. I just like to jump over them and dive into them. Thanks for checking out my blog! Miss you guys...