Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Being Great

2010 has definitely begun on the right foot - pretty much on every level. Praise the Lord!
 
School - Heading back into the school year I was just getting over a bad head cold that had me practically bedridden for an entire week. I was not at all ready, physically or mentally, to come back to school. But come 7:30 Monday morning, January 4, I was at my desk preparing for the first day back. All day I felt awful, but God gave me His amazing grace to not only survive the day, but to actually stay on top of things and get much accomplished. And it's stayed like that since then. I have been working more diligently, focusing better, and getting much more done both in class and in my prep times. I can only thank God for His power in me because on my own I am weak in every way.
 
Service - I am excited this year especially in my work with the Youth Group. Last June I started with the senior high youth group, and I love it. On Monday nights I work with our youth pastor's wife to lead the girls' group, LACE (Ladies After Christ's Example). As I help Kris plan and participate in the Bible studies and activities, I have opportunities to minister to teen girls who are at every stage emotionally, spiritually, and so on. I feel it's both a huge responsibilty and an incredible blessing. Besides LACE, I have finally been able to join our youth pastor, the youth music leader, and some of the teens once a month for a Sunday service at a local retirement home. Last year my schedule for volunteering at the jail church service fell on the same Sunday as "retirement home Sunday" so I was not able to attend until December. This year my commitment to the jail ministry will not overlap with the retirement home Sunday except for September and October. Finally, this summer I may have the opportunity to join the senior high youth on a trip to South Dakota to study the land with a Creationist professor. I am thrilled about this opportunity!

Spiritual life - As I contemplated the new year back in December, I tried to think of areas of my life that I could work on in 2010. One area is that of my prayer life. I started reading Power Through Prayer, by E. M. Bounds, a while ago, and God has used that book to impact my life. I have been convicted about the time I spend in prayer, who and what I pray for, why I pray. Since then I have had more, and longer, meaningful times of prayer than I had in all 2009 probably! Praise God!! I am also striving to deepen my faith and my relationship with God. I have been a shallow, lazy Christian and that is about to change. It's time to get my eyes off myself, to get up off my couch, and go do something great for God. And let me tell you, my quotidian lifestyle may not offer many opportunities for greatness, but I don't have to leave Grand Haven to be great for God. As much as I would love to start a new and exciting life elsewhere, God has planted me here for the time being and I can't wait 'til if or when to start living a great and godly life. It starts here and now, today, with me.  




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me

No comments: