Monday, January 18, 2010

Silliness

"I don't smell anything. Don't plug your nose, there's no stink!" (2nd grader to his classmates)
 
"Nice carrot. It's orange...like all carrots should be." (4th grader to me)
 
"I'm always talking." (5th grader to me, and unfortunately it's completely true!)
 
The following took place just prior to taking a 5-minute, addition-fact timing in 2nd grade math class -
Jared: "I have butterflies in my stomach."
Jack: "Me too!!!! Jared, I have the same thing! Miss D. isn't it funny that we both have the same thing?!"

So, my second grade boys fight over where to sit at the table during math class. They usually work it out themselves, though one or two boys might be unhappy with the arrangement. Well, I got tired of it so I labeled the spots at the table with numbers 1-5. Today we "drew sticks" (popsicle sticks with the boys' names on them) to see who would sit where. They will get the seat for one week, then we'll rotate clockwise next Monday and so on for the rest of the year. Problem solved! When they came in this morning I asked if they noticed anything different about the table, thinking they'd see the little white papers with numbers on them (they were just below the edge of the tabletop on a little part of the table that runs perpendicular to the top, so not immediately visible, I admit). Anyway, I asked, "Do you notice anything different about the table?" Here are a few responses I got, before they found the number tags:
 
"It's wider."
"It's longer."
"It's cleaner."
"It's waaaayyyy dirtier."

"It's new."
"It's old."

"There's a white thing on it." (a tiny scrap of paper, not the number tag)
 
Perhaps my second graders aren't the best "noticers" in the school. Oh well! I love them, they love me, and we all love math - so it's all good!
 
 
i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me

No comments: