Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Birthday Stuff and School: Week 2





Sunday I celebrated my 24th birthday with Amanda and Kendall and lots of other family. My birthday isn't actually until Thursday, Amanda's was Sunday, and Kendall's was last Friday. We had yummy ice cream sandwich cake. Lots of cards and a few little gifts. I really love celebrating with two of my closest cousins. It's alot more fun sharing the spotlight than having everyone looking at just me....no thank you! To really, really celebrate, Amanda and I are taking off Friday and heading down to Chicago for the weekend to shop. No, I'm not that excited. I mean, how fun could it possibly be to spend two whole days with one of my very best friends in a boring ol' town like Chicago?! Yeah, right. We plan to shop 'til we drop and eat at a nice restaurant Friday night where a friend of hers works. And we're going to Navy Pier - she's never been. I will definitely have some fun pictures to post after that trip!


So school....it is going better this week than I had anticipated after last week. For one thing, I am feeling loads better. For another thing, I am not having to fill time like I thought I would have to. And, the kids are actually having homework. I am not a huge fan of homework, but the other elementary teachers and the junior high teachers are complaining that my class is the only one without homework and my kids need a little practice before junior high and so forth and so on. Well it is working out fine because my students are simply not having enough time to get everything done that needs to be done in the day so I send it home. They should have one hour or less, which is about right. Actually, I loved homework - from elementary all the way through college - but I just don't want my students overloaded with school junk at home when they get it all day. Afternoons/evenings are for sports, music lessons, playing outside, reading, and family time. But anyway, my kids will have home work; everyone should be satisfied. After today and yesterday, this year is looking even better. And I have a feeling it is going to go by faster than I ever could imagine!

1 comment:

Traci said...

I'm not a big fan of homework either! :-)
Especially not for the younger children. I know they need the reinforcement of certain skills, but half an hour or less is sufficient.
Evening time is much too limited to have tons of homework thrown into it!
Can you tell I have 4 children!!??
So glad you had fun in Chicago. I envy you!