Thursday, April 30, 2009

Tour of the OAC

It's been so long since I've posted that I have a few things I need to say all at once. Tuesday my students and I visited the Ottawa Area Center in Zeeland. My Aunt Sue has worked there as a parapro for several years, and I worked there for one summer a few years ago. The OAC is a phenomenal school for students of a wide range of ages who have mental and physical impairments. Their facility and grounds is absolutely fabulous! With a barn full of animals, a pool, a huge playground, a sensory room, and teachers who love and care about their students, the OAC is a top-notch school for young people with special needs. On our tour, we saw students of all ages and needs. My three students handled themselves better than I imagined. They were nervous, yes, but JoAnne, assistant director and our tour guide, reassured them that it is ok to be nervous and even afraid since the students at the OAC are very different from what we consider "normal." I think that helped my kids relax a little and be able to truly learn and enjoy themselves. They got to see how some students are tube fed, how some communicate through electronic devices, and how just about all the students at the OAC love new friends and attention just like any of us! Their favorite part was getting to play with some four and five year old students in one of the little AI rooms. Working with our k-4 this year has given them some background and appreciation for the little tikes, and they enjoyed getting to spend some time with new kids. My heart rejoiced as we left because all three enjoyed themselves, but also had their eyes opened. They understand very clearly that God is the Creator of all humans, no matter their station in life, and He loves each of us the same. I mean, what is "normal" anyway? If God is the Creator of all life, who are we to determine what is normal and what is not? I would love for one of my students to some day get involved with special education in one way or another.





i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me

1 comment:

Kaytlyn said...

WoW Linds! That's awesome that you took your kids to OAC. I work with those kids all the time. What room does your Aunt Sue work in? I was actually out there about a month ago for some PT with one of my respite kids. It is such a wonderful place and has such amazing people that work there.