Friday, January 30, 2009

I have been challenged in my thinking and methods for changing my life to be more like Christ. So often I discover a sin or problem in my life then go right to Scripture looking for a "fix-it" verse. Say the problem is lying, I find the verse (can't think of the reference at the moment!) that says to stop lying and start telling the truth. "Ok, got it. In order for me to stop this sin of lying I need to start telling the truth. Great, check that one off my list. What's next? Stealing? That's easy too. The Bible says to work hard so I can have plenty to give to others. So, work hard, give to others, stop stealing. Check. Moving right along..." Get the picture? Woah!!! Stop!!! No!!! That stuff is all good and obviously true and helpful, but what's the point? Do we, do I, ever read the parts of Scripture that talk about the One whom I am trying to imitate?! Duh. Yeah, duh. It is time to get back into Scripture and read every single word. Read the ones about Christ's life and death and resurrection. Read about what He has done, how His grace has set us free, how He is our Great High Priest, how He knows that we are weak beings of dust, how He is our shield, comfort, and refuge. Wow. I heard something like this: It's hard to so "No" to the sin that so easily besets us when we don't realize that there is something far better to say "Yes" to. I must, we must, come to grips with the One Whom we are serving and realize our deepest, fullest satisfaction is from Him and Him alone. God told Saul He prefers obedience over sacrifice. So, yeah, check those sins off your list as you overcome them, but do you, do I, really know what it means to obey God? I think what I am trying to say to you and to myself as I mumble around here is that I must get my mind on God and Jesus Christ if I want true life change. We have to look up at all times. We can't concentrate so fully on our sin that we lose sight of our Savior!

No comments: